Friday, April 30, 2010

Monday!!

This Monday did not start out well!  We were on the way to the farm about 7:30 in the morning when a car in front of us stopped to turn left.  The truck behind them managed to stop and I did, too, but the SUV behind me did not.  He slammed us into the truck, sandwiching our poor car from both ends.


We were very, very lucky that no one was injured, but two days later, I'm still having problems with my artificial knees.  I have a doctor's appointment next week.

In the trunk of the car was the salad I had made to take to Dan Huntley's barbecue.  I did manage to salvage some of it.  We had a great time at Dan's and met Larry the Cable Guy, filming a segment for "Only in America" to be shown on the History Channel.  Michael Pollan was also supposed to be there, but his father-in-law had a stroke and he wasn't able to come.  I had really looked forward to meeting him.



We've cut back a little on our garden this year since we have so much construction going on, but we did manage to get quite a few eggplant, tomato, and pepper plants in the ground with newspaper and hay mulch.




Our newest additions to the farm family are four ducks that someone gave us.  The ducks made themselves right at home and seem to love the pond.  We're hoping they will eat mosquito larva!



The grapes, figs, and peaches are all looking great!









Apples, cherries, and apricots also look good.  We're already eating lettuce out of the herb garden.  Now I have to go mow the yard.  That will take two days!


1 comment:

  1. Tina,
    I am absolutely beside myself with jealousy over your having an AGA Cooker!!!!
    I have loved those (never used one) but know they are the rage in Brittan!!! Love the concept of the way they heat and are always ready when you want to cook.
    Now you will have to let me know when it gets all hooked up how it is to can with one, I can see the pressure canner sitting on it right now.
    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete